Joseph Foti

Husband of suffering patient

Mr. Foti is a labor relations attorney for a large medical center in Brooklyn, New York. He was always secure in knowing his family had excellent coverage if anyone ever became ill. Never in a million years would he have imagined that he would be asking for additional money to cover medical expenses for his family, but he would later discover money was the least of his problems.

In 2007, Mr. Foti's wife Tameka, encountered some serious problems that led to hospitalization. On April 24th, 2007, Tameka Foti was hospitalized after, complaining of stomach pains. Later, an obstruction was found in her intestine. The intestine died in her system, resulting in three operations that week, which involved removing 4 feet of intestine and part of her stomach. She suffered lung damage from the shock to her system and was put in a medically induced coma for 3 weeks on a vent. Her lungs healed and she was taken out of intensive care unit on June 3rd, 2007. She was then moved to another area in the hospital where she would wait for her wound to heal so she could have the operation to reconnect her stomach to her intestine.

The Foti's problems tripled when Tameka's surgeon was pressured by the insurance company to send her to a rehabilitation facility, since it was cheaper than being in the hospital--claiming she no longer needed acute care despite the fact that she was unable to eat. It was supposed to be no more than a month in rehab until she could have the surgery to reconnect her stomach, but that ended up being longer than anticipated. The wound healed enough for the surgery, but during that time she was malnourished and not monitored properly at the rehab where her life was at risk to the point of having to be hospitalized in late August. Another issue that quickly surfaced was the significant costs involved. Mr. Foti had one-million dollars in medical coverage and Tameka's bills were piling up-- approaching eight-hundred thousand dollars. While this is a large part of the problem, Mr. Foti was convinced that if his wife had not been taken from the hospital and put in a rehab facility, his story might have a happy ending. While Tameka is still alive, she is unable to write or talk and has not taken three steps from her bed in 9 months. She is still listed as being in critical condition.

Programs featuring Joseph Foti

Join Our Community Register for Events Read Our Latest Blog

Page last updated on May 1, 2010